Upon the initiative of and in cooperation with the Palestine Polytechnic University (PPU) Alumni Union, the Urban Planning and Disaster Risk Reduction Centre (UPDRR) of An-Najah National University (ANU), organized a workshop on Disaster Management in Palestine. The workshop, that was held on February 11th at PPU’s campus in Hebron, was attended by many stakeholders in Hebron district; PPU’s head of Board of Trustees and president, Governor of Hebron, Mayor of Hebron city, Director General of Civil Defense of West Bank, the National Committee for Disaster Risk Reduction, and several representatives of civil society organizations. Dr. Jalal Dabbeek, director of UPDRR welcomed the participants and thanked PPU for hosting this event that is a part of the continuous efforts in the framework of SASPARM efforts in Palestine.
The workshop included five presentations to lead discussions on the tackled subjects. The presented papers were:
- Safety Requirements in Disaster Management, by: Dr Nafiz Al-Sha’rawi- the Palestinian National Centre for Safety and Occupational Healthcare.
- The law Governing the Work of Disaster Management, by: Eng. Hiba Shaheen- Directorate of Civil Defense.
- A paper on SASPARM Project; introducing the basic elements to assist and evaluate disaster risk and its management, objectives, duties and funding, local and European partners, and the activities implemented during the project, by Dr Jalal Dabbeek - Director of UPDRR at ANU.
- Learned Lessons on the Crisis Management of Polar Low 2013,, by Eng. Amjad I’bidou-Hebron Municipality.
- The civil Community Role in Disaster Risk Planning Strategy, by Mr. Wasif Erekat- Head of National Committee for Disaster Risk Reduction.
Presentations were followed by discussions on presented topics. The workshop was concluded by a session that focused on recommendations forwarded to relevant governmental and non-governmental institutions who share the responsibilities and duties in disaster risk reduction and management.